Does your computer send you error messages saying that there is no Sound Device Installed on your computer? Have you checked it and found that there is such a device installed but it is also enabled and you STILL get no sound through your computer's speakers? Well there could be many causes for this dilemma. Here are a few of the easiest ones to check.
Cause # 1:
Check your Audio Control Panel to make sure the settings are correct.
– Go to Start> Control Panel> Sound and Audio Devices
– A pop up window will appear. Make sure your volume is at max and the mute box is NOT checked.
– Then go to advanced and make sure that all sliders are at max as well. Also note if any of the mute boxes are checked. If so, uncheck them.
Cause # 2:
It might be the service for XP that is not set right. Try this first, it is easier to check and quicker to fix if this is the problem.
– Go to Start> Control Panel> Administrative Tools> Component Services.
– A new window will open. On the left of this window click "services (local)" from the tree.
– Go down to "Windows Audio" service and note its setting.
– You want this setting to be on "Automatic". If it is on "Manual" or "Off" then right click on it then select "Properties" under the "Startup Type" and change the setting to "Automatic"
– Then click "Apply" Close window and reboot your computer.
Cause # 3:
If in your "Sounds and Audio Devices" it says that there is "No Audio Device" but in your "Device Manager" it says "Audio Device" is "Working Properly" then you could try the following:
– Copy the file machine.inf located at C: WINDOWSinfmachine.inf to a temporary location
– Put your copy of machine.inf in Notepad and edit it by removing line 20 (ExcludeFromSelect = *)
– Right-click "Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator" and click "Update Driver"
– Choose "Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)" and click Next
– Choose "Do not search. I will choose the driver to install" and click Next
– Click "Have Disk"
– Browse to the location of your copy of machine.inf and click OK
– Select the "Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator" and click Next
– Wait for the software to install and then click Finish
I hope this helps with getting your tunes back on your computer.